Join the Team! Part-time research associate required
Newman University Birmingham
Centre for Science, Knowledge and Belief in Society (CSKBS)
Hourly paid research assistant
17.5 hour per week for 26 weeks at £13.94 per hour
(equivalent to £26,829 per annum pro rata)
An opportunity has arisen for a hourly paid Research Associate to work within the Centre for Science, Knowledge and Belief in Society (CSKBS) at Newman University. The post holder will work principally supporting the Principal Investigator on a large scale grant funded Science and Religion: Exploring the Spectrum project within CSKBS.
Science and Religion: Exploring the Spectrum’ project overview: Our project seeks to build an understanding of the social and cultural contexts of public perceptions of the relationship between ‘science’ and ‘religion’ across all faiths and none. This innovative and unique research project will employ four intersecting approaches: social science field research; oral history, historical and media analysis; experimental social psychology; and a large-scale survey of public perceptions, attitudes and identity formation in the UK and Canada.
The Centre for Science, Knowledge and Belief in Society (CSKBS) is a multidisciplinary Research Centre that fosters open-minded social science and humanities based research on: the public understanding and communication of the relationship between science and religion, research into the sociology and psychology of religion, and the role of science, knowledge and belief in diverse societies. For further details please go to: http://www.newman.ac.uk/research-centres/2371
The successful candidate will provide research and administrative support on the ‘Science and Religion: Exploring the Spectrum’ project, including:
- Plan, and conduct research activities including related literature reviews or desk based research across the SRES project in the area of religion/science, and to support on editing of project outputs as agreed with Dr Fern Elsdon-Baker
- Contributing to research based reports, presentations and papers (including potentially contributing to academic publications or drafting parts thereof), and to the writing of related downstream funding bids.
- Contributing to the development of public engagement and research impact based activity
- Where appropriate (and with support of wider research team) present research outputs, for example at seminars and as posters
- Carry out research administrative tasks related directly to the delivery of the research
- Assist on the co-ordination and delivery of conferences and events
We welcome applications from researchers with backgrounds in:
- Science and Technology Studies
- Science Communication Studies
- History and Philosophy of Science
- Media or Cultural Studies
- Other related areas of social scientific research
The candidate will hold, or be in the final stages of completing, a relevant doctoral qualification and will have a record of research activity commensurate with their career stage. Experience literature reviewing and writing for publication is also desirable.
While in post, mentoring and career support will be provided to assist the post holder to develop their research track and profile. Preference will thus be given to candidates with an interest in/enthusiasm for the subject matter of the project and the Centre’s wider research.
To apply for this position please send a full curriculum vitae and covering letter explaining your reasons for applying to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The hourly paid role will start on 20th March 2017 at the earliest and will be funded for 6 months in the first instance.
Closing date for applications: 28th February 2017 1pm GMT
Interviews will be held on the 10th March 2017.
Newman University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.